Holidays in term time
As of 1 September 2013 there has been a change in the School Attendance Regulations. Where there used to be the option for headteachers to grant leave of absence for the purpose of a family holiday during the term time in ‘special circumstances’ of up to ten days in a year, this has been removed.
Headteachers are now only allowed to authorise any leave of absence when an application has been made in advance and it is felt to be for an exceptional circumstance; the annual family holiday would not be deemed an exceptional circumstance.
Please speak to the Headteacher before a request for absence from school is made.
- Parents complete a request for leave of absence form (Ht1) and return it to the school for authorisation
- Parents are informed of the schools decision (ideally within 5 working days)
- If the holiday is not to be authorised the EWO must receive a copy of this communication with the parents at the same time – in such cases a HITT warning notice will be served
- If a Warning has been served and the holiday is taken and the conditions are in line with the Code of Conduct a Truancy Penalty Notice will be served
- If the TPN is not paid the LA will prosecute for the absence under the Code of Conduct Regulations
Please download a copy of our holiday form (Ht1), if required: Holiday Form